Thursday, December 30, 2010

Catching up

I'm a little irritated with myself for not keeping better track of what we have been up to during the month of December, but oh well. As you can imagine, life has been pretty busy, what with the holidays and all, but I just haven't been in a blogging mood. We had a lot of fun things going on, and the boys have been on Christmas vacation from school, too. I guess right around Christmas, it all just got a little depressing for me. I think in general, I do a good job of maintaining a positive attitude, not letting myself get too down, etc., but for the past week or so it has just felt so lonely around here.

As far as the deployment goes, Steve is doing well and is very busy at work. He said he likes it that way because then he doesn't have any idle time on his hands to be homesick. R&R is coming up in the next few weeks and I can hardly wait to see him. All we really want to do is disappear with the boys and enjoy each other. We are busy making plans and I'm sure it will be here before we know it!

The boys continue to do well, although they definitely missed Steve on Christmas. We were very lucky in that we were able to Skype with him on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day. It was really bizarre having my laptop sitting there while the boys played with their new toys, Steve watching.

I think what I miss the most is plain old companionship. I suppose that is why I am feeling a little down now - - we are out of our regular routine, and although I have both boys home with me, I'm not seeing a whole lot of other adults. I miss Steve coming home at night, and I miss sitting on the sofa and talking with him after the boys go to bed. I find this deployment so much more isolating than the the last one, even though it is a shorter deployment. I think there are so many factors contributing to that. Right now I am just focusing on small increments of time. Working toward R&R right now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! Happy New Year! I'm glad you all managed to kind of be together on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day, even if only by Skype. I can only imagine how much you all miss Steve, and how difficult it is to be separated from your usual companionship. You certainly always do maintain a positive spirit, but you can't be happy & chirpy 24/7 in these circumstances, that's for sure. Lovely to hear that you're at least getting hubby home for R&R very soon, that's great news & no doubt it'll be a very welcome break during the long winter. Keep your chin up in the meantime, & I'd like to wish you all a wonderful 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicky! Happy New Year to you, too. You know, I am usually very upbeat...just got a little down around the holidays. Feeling things looking back up now...no sense pouting and wallowing as it doesn't do a bit of good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message...I love to hear from readers!