Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Family Dinner


Do you sit down to family dinner each night? We do, and it is a pretty important part of our family life together. Both Steve and I were raised sitting down to family dinner, and we knew when we had a family of our own, we would do the same thing.
I was thinking, just the other day, that making family dinner happen while Steve is deployed, will probably be one of my big challenges. I know in the past when he's been away, it is so much easier for me to just throw something together for the boys, and then just eat a bowl of cereal myself, or...you guessed it...their leftovers. This time I'm going to try really hard to make sure the table is set each night, and that I'm still preparing a balanced meal for the three of us to share.

3 comments:

  1. Family dinner was something I grew up with. I think it's going to be the hardest thing to give up when my husband leaves. Even if we just sit at the picnic table or bust out the TV trays we always eat together. I used to bring his dinner to the hospital when he would be overnight call and we'd eat dinner in the front seat of my car, but it was still a family dinner. When he leaves it will just be me, not much of a family dinner. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tough one, isn't it? I know when my husband is away, I'm even more tired at the end of the day, so I'm going to have to dig deep to make sure it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely grew up with family dinners each night. We'd each go around the table and talk about our day. Obviously this was "super lame" in junior high and high school, but whenever we come home it's a fun thing to join in on - and now we love it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message...I love to hear from readers!